[OS X TeX]

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Sat Jan 21 00:00:22 CET 2006

Am 20.01.2006 um 18:53 schrieb Nicola Rizzi:

> I am using TeTex on a Mac (TeXShop). My question is how to change
> hyphenetion patterns in Plain Tex (italian, for instance). In fact
> I have some patterns but I do not know how to generate a new
> multilingual format (i am not been able to find initex).

The hyphenation patterns are located in /usr/local/teTeX/share/
texmf.tetex/tex/generic/hyphen/ithyph.tex (Claudio Beccari). They are
used in TeX via the Babel system, /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/
tex/generic/babel/italian.ldf, /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/
generic/babel/italian.sty.

You probably do not need to create new formats with initex. There is
(sudo -H) fmtutil-sys for the whole system, or fmtutil for your
personal demand. By default the Italian hyphenation patterns *are*
included -- so if you change them you just would need to re-new the
formats.

There too is texconfig or texconfig-dialog (for the system it is to
be used as 'sudo -H texconfig-sys') which you can use to change parts
of your teTeX installation. If you prefer the Mac way you can do it
using i-Installer to 'configure only' your system.

--
Greetings

   Pete