[tex-live] [Fwd: Re: [OS X TeX] DVIPS config file]

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Wed Jan 18 21:41:15 CET 2006

On 18 Jan 2006, at 18:42, Vinayak Vatsal wrote:

> On 18-Jan-06, at 8:10 AM, Gerben Wierda wrote:
>
> [snip]

>>> Thanks very much! Is it safe to change texmf.cnf manually (where
>>> does
>>> it even live)? Or is this something best done at the level of the
>>> distribution?
>>
>> I should have looked into this myself before pasisng this on. It
>> is enough
>> to set DVIPSRC and have a .dvipsrc file *in the current directory*
>> when
>> you are running dvips. Because my setup already has "." (current
>> directory) as part of TEXCONFIG.
>>
>> I tested this and it works: .dvipsrc is being read.
>>
>> If you want to open ~/.dvipsrc instead, you need to add ";$HOME"
>> at the
>> end of in the definition of TEXCONFIG in /Library/teTeX/texmf.cnf
>>
>> I think having it per-project is probably even nicer, depending on
>> your
>> setup. If not, you can always have a symlink in each project
>> directory.
>

> Thanks. That seems to work.
>
> However, it's not nice to set DVIPSRC in texmf.cnf  -- this is
> going to break with every update, I guess.

Yes, but updates are not that frequent and the update process with
the i-Package saves your previous texmf.cnf so th erepair is easy.

> It used to be that one could set environment variables for GIU
> processes like TeXShop by putting them in .MacOSX/
> environment.plist. and it would be a better solution to set DVISPRC
> there, but I think Apple has changed somethin, as this method
> doesn't work any more.

For a variable like DVIPSRC it would be OK, I guess. But it does not
work anymore? Did they document that somewhere?

> Do you know how one is supposed to set these variables now?

No. You could ask Dick Koch to add environment settings to TeXShop
preferences.