[tex-live] [Fwd: Re: [OS X TeX] DVIPS config file]

Vinayak Vatsal vatsal at math.ubc.ca
Wed Jan 18 18:42:06 CET 2006

On 18-Jan-06, at 8:10 AM, Gerben Wierda wrote:

[snip]

>> Thanks very much! Is it safe to change texmf.cnf manually (where does
>> it even live)? Or is this something best done at the level of the
>> distribution?
>
> I should have looked into this myself before pasisng this on. It is
> enough
> to set DVIPSRC and have a .dvipsrc file *in the current directory*
> when
> you are running dvips. Because my setup already has "." (current
> directory) as part of TEXCONFIG.
>
> I tested this and it works: .dvipsrc is being read.
>
> If you want to open ~/.dvipsrc instead, you need to add ";$HOME" at
> the
> end of in the definition of TEXCONFIG in /Library/teTeX/texmf.cnf
>
> I think having it per-project is probably even nicer, depending on
> your
> setup. If not, you can always have a symlink in each project
> directory.

Thanks. That seems to work.

However, it's not nice to set DVIPSRC in texmf.cnf  -- this is going
to break with every update, I guess. It used to be that one could set
environment variables for GIU processes like TeXShop by putting them
in .MacOSX/environment.plist. and it would be a better solution to
set DVISPRC there, but I think Apple has changed somethin, as this
method doesn't work any more.

Do you know how one is supposed to set these variables now?

Vinayak Vatsal
Department of Mathematics
University of British Columbia
Vancouver, BC