[tex-live] [Fwd: Re: [OS X TeX] DVIPS config file]

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Wed Jan 18 17:10:32 CET 2006

> On Jan 17, 2006, at 11:20 AM, Gerben Wierda wrote:
>
>> Answer from the TeX Live list.

>> Begin forwarded message:
>>
>>> From: Akira Kakuto <kakuto at fsci.fuk.kindai.ac.jp>
>>> Date: 17 January 2006 13:38:14 GMT+01:00
>>> To: Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
>>> Cc: texlive at tug.org
>>> Subject: Re: [tex-live] [Fwd: Re: [OS X TeX] DVIPS config file]

>>> Configuration directory was restricted to $TEXMF/dvips// some day.
>>>
>>> Configuration directory was restricted to $TEXMF/dvips// some day.
>>>
>>> In order to use ~/.dvipsrc, search for the following lines in
>>> texmf.cnf:
>>>
>>> % Dvips' config.* files (this name should not start with `TEX'!).
>>> TEXCONFIG = $TEXMF/dvips//
>>>
>>> and change them into
>>>
>>> % Dvips' config.* files (this name should not start with `TEX'!).
>>> DVIPSRC = .dvipsrc
>>> TEXCONFIG = $TEXMF/dvips//;$HOME
>

> Thanks very much! Is it safe to change texmf.cnf manually (where does
> it even live)? Or is this something best done at the level of the
> distribution?

I should have looked into this myself before pasisng this on. It is enough
to set DVIPSRC and have a .dvipsrc file *in the current directory* when
you are running dvips. Because my setup already has "." (current
directory) as part of TEXCONFIG.

I tested this and it works: .dvipsrc is being read.

If you want to open ~/.dvipsrc instead, you need to add ";$HOME" at the
end of in the definition of TEXCONFIG in /Library/teTeX/texmf.cnf

I think having it per-project is probably even nicer, depending on your
setup. If not, you can always have a symlink in each project directory.