[OS X TeX] DVIPS config file

Vinayak Vatsal vatsal at math.ubc.ca
Mon Jan 16 23:29:19 CET 2006

On 16-Jan-06, at 2:10 PM, Gerben Wierda wrote:

> I have no idea if this changed, but you could try to set the
> DVIPSRC environment variable explicitely:
>
>   2. A user-specific startup file is loaded, so individual users can
>      override any options set in the global file.  The environment
>      variable `DVIPSRC', if defined, is used as the specification of
>      the startup file.  If this variable is undefined, Dvips uses a
>      platform-specific default name.  On Unix Dvips looks for the
>      default startup file under the name `$HOME/.dvipsrc', which is in
>      the user's home directory.  On MS-DOS and MS-Windows, where users
>      generally don't have their private directories, the startup file
>      is called `dvips.ini' and it is searched for along the path for
>      Dvips configuration files (as described in *Note Supported file
>      formats: (kpathsea)Supported file formats.); users are
> expected to
>      set this path as they see fit for their taste.

This is precisely the problem -- I ran dvips with the path search
debug flags set, and there's no trace that dvips _ever_ looked for
$HOME/.dvipsrc, as it supposed to do. The file certainly exists and
used to be found correctly. According to the TeXLive documentation
found at

http://www.tug.org/texlive/doc/texlive-en/live.html

it's supposed to look right after searching for config.ps. However,
it is not doing so.

  It is possible that  something went wrong in the present 2005
distribution?  (Eg, DVIPSRC got accidentally set somewhere?). I tried
downgrading to 2004, and that worked fine, as it used to do.

If you want I can send you the 2005 debug output off list (it's very
long).

Vinayak Vatsal
Department of Mathematics
University of British Columbia