[OS X TeX] Re: TeXShop: ISO Latin 9, German and Japanese Localizations

Bob Kerstetter bkerstetter at mac.com
Mon Jan 16 21:11:31 CET 2006

On Jan 16, 2006, at 1:19 PM, Bastian Philipps wrote:

> BTW: Does anyone know a nice OS X Tool, which shows me the encoding
> a file is using. Textwrangler does not display it and Smultron
> seems unable to differenciate between latin9 or latin1

Textwrangler does succeed at this now and then. However, a "Text
Files: Opening"  option says, "If File's Encoding Can't be Guessed,
use:  [Select an encoding option].   That sure seems to imply that TW
can divine the encoding sometimes but not all of the time.

Just a quick run around the Internet via google suggests the good
folks at BB may not be alone here. Lots of stuff says "detect
encoding where possible"  or something similar. Is it really that
difficult?