[OS X TeX] TeXShop 2.07

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Fri Jan 13 00:10:12 CET 2006

On 12 Jan 2006, at 23:38, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 12.01.2006 um 21:10 schrieb Maarten Sneep:
>
>> In the majority of cases it isn't needed. I don't know if pdfcrop
>> properly adjusts for line thickness, but that is notoriously hard.
>> So if it isn't needed, I don't want those other tools touching my
>> eps files.
>
> pdfcrop can't change the thickness of lines -- it's just an
> invocation of pdftex with arguments that set a paper size of the
> bounding box' size, which has been retrieved from the EPS file
> before. Try 'pdfcrop --debug' on a file: it will leave the produced
> TeX and LOG files! ps2pdf14 is the same 'mechanism' as used in
> epstopdf ...

I'm not worried about changes in the line-thickness, I'm worried
about cutting part of the line near teh edge of the figure!

Imagine a path, say a circle. Take a stroke with thickness 10 pt,
just to exaggerate. The line will extend 5 pt beyond the path, and
this is where many tools go wrong. If cropping isn't needed, I want
to leave it out.

If there is one thing we all should have learnt by now, it is that
there are no simple solutions for this problem, but using tools where
they aren't needed, is not good in any case.

Maarten