[OS X TeX] Re: Suggestions about input encoding - utf-8, latin1, latin9??

Bastian Philipps bph at gmx.info
Thu Jan 12 23:56:51 CET 2006

Peter Dyballa said the following on 12.1.2006 16:25 Uhr:

> I wouldn't think so. There are still enough situations where an 8 bit
> encoding is sufficient. Therefore, for example, the ISO Latin-10 or ISO
> 8859-16 encoding was created recently. Did you try to express (print)
> UTF-8 in PostScript? Is it necessary to use an unmaintained TeX tool
> like ucs that only supports more or less the first 64 K characters?

If I remember right \usepackage[utf-8]{inputenc} implicitly loads
ucs.sty automatically since the latest release.
Shouldn't the first 64'000 characters be enough for the usual english,
french and german texts?
I am not planning on any Swahili texts ;-)

> Can
> you copy&paste or search for UTF-8 characters in these texts in the PDF
> viewer? (I haven't tried yet ... missing some source)

So far it seems to work for me, but I cannot speak for sources with
really exotic characters.

Greetings to you all
Basti