[OS X TeX] speed of typesetting on a MacBook?

Simon Spiegel simon at simifilm.ch
Wed Jan 11 19:19:49 CET 2006

On 11.01.2006, at 19:06, Gary L. Gray wrote:

> I am *very* interested in getting one of these new MacBook Pros if
> Steve Jobs' claims of its speed are true. He claims that the 1.83
> GHz MacBook is 4 times faster than the current 1.67 GHz PowerBook.
> Given that I have 1.5 GHz PowerBook, will I see the sort of speed
> increases claimed by Jobs when typesetting TeX or will it only
> scale with clock speed, that is, it will only be 1.83/1.67 times
> faster?
>
> Thank you for helping me make my decision. :-)

Don't trust any benchmarks you haven't fabricated yourself. ;)

Real world use and benchmarks are two different things but I think
it's a safe bet that the BacBook Pro will be a lot faster than the
current iBook, Not only does it have two cores and higher tact rate,
it's bus is about four times faster. You'll definitely going to feel
this.

Apart from that I guess that (La)TeX for intel is propably better
optimized than the PPC version, simply because more people work on
it. I might be wrong though, Gerben can probably enlight us here.

simon

PS: If we discuss the new intel machines, can we please avoid traffic
and stick to TeX specific questions like in this thread? Thank you.

--
Simon Spiegel
Mutschellenstr. 97

Telephon: ++41 43 535 81 71
Mobophon: ++41 76 459 60 39

http://www.simifilm.ch

"I have never been certain that the moral of the Icarus myth is, as
is generally accepted, 'don't fly too high', or whether it might also
be thought of as: 'forget about the wax and feathers, and do a better
job on the wings." Stanley Kubrick