[OS X TeX] BibDesk autocompletion issue

Michael S. Hanson mshanson at wesleyan.edu
Tue Jan 10 00:21:41 CET 2006

On Jan 4, 2006, at 4:02 PM, Adam Maxwell wrote:

> On Wednesday, January 04, 2006, at 12:03PM, Michael S. Hanson
> <mshanson at wesleyan.edu> wrote:
>
>>     I am having difficulty with autocompletion in BibDesk 1.21:
>> when I press [F5] to complete a citation in TeXShop (version 2.03 on
>> OS X 10.4.2), I only see the first matching citation in the .bib
>> database, not the whole list of possible matches that earlier
>> versions (1.18?) of BibDesk would show.  Completing internal
>> references in the .tex file with [F5] works fine.
>
> How are you expecting it to match?  IIRC it searches keywords,
> title, author, and citekey case-insensitively (and it works fine
> for me).  Are you sure that you have citations matching your search
> term in the bib file?  If so, send me (off-list) a minimal file and
> exact steps to reproduce what you're seeing, using TextEdit as
> editor, and I'll take a look.
>
>>     I have attempted to reinstall the autocompletion plugin for
>> TeXShop from within BibDesk, but that does not seem to have made any
>> difference.  Is anyone else noticing this behavior?  Any
>> suggestions?  (As I understand the announcements on this list, the
>> autocompletion bug introduced with version 1.20 was fixed with
>> version 1.21.  Is that correct?)
>
> The bug in 1.2.0 was fixed for 1.2.1; it wouldn't even give you a
> single matching entry.  I haven't made any changes to the plugin
> for a few months, so reinstalling it won't fix (or hurt) anything.

     I have been out of town since early on Jan 5, and thus have not
been able to follow-up on this issue.  This afternoon I upgraded my
Mac to 10.4.3 and TeXShop to 2.06, and tried autocompletion under
BibDesk 1.21 again.  It now works correctly for me.  Something about
OS X 10.4.2 + TeXShop 2.03 + BibDesk 1.21 resulted in the problems
listed above (OS X 10.4.2 + TeXShop 2.03 + BibDesk 1.19 worked fine)
on my Mac, but with the upgrades yielding a functioning combination,
I consider this issue closed.  Thanks for the assistance.

                                         -- Mike