[OS X TeX] Problem with Spotlight importer(s)

Adam Maxwell amaxwell at mac.com
Mon Jan 9 18:21:48 CET 2006

On Monday, January 09, 2006, at 09:10AM, Bruno Voisin <bvoisin at mac.com> wrote:

>Now that the newest TeXShop includes a TeX Spotlight importer, I have
>just attempted to index the relevant area of my home directory:
>
>	mdimport ~/Documents/
>
>and was expecting to index afterwards the gwTeX area:
>
>	sudo mdimport -f /usr/local/teTeX/
>
>Alas: while processing "mdimport ~/Documents/", my Mac came to
>practically a halt (Finder and Safari had to be Cmd-Alt-Esc'ed) and
>Terminal is now filling up with messages such as:
>
>2006-01-09 17:42:56.196 mdimport[6456] Importer using too much memory
>(2911 MB), hit critical threshold.  Last file imported was: /Users/
>brunovoisin/Documents/Articles/Article 4/Version 1/Article/Figures/
>PDF-Panther/regimes5.pdf

Looks like a serious memory leak in an importer, and I'm assuming it's the TeX one if that was most recently installed.  You'll have to manually remove the importer from TeXShop's bundle; control-click on TeXShop, open up Contents/Library/Spotlight and put TeX.mdimporter in the trash.

Empty the trash.  Quit TeXShop, and move it elsewhere on your drive with the Finder, then move it back to the original location (this should force Spotlight to unload/reload plugins).

Adam