[OS X TeX] Bibdesk + autocompletion

Adam R. Maxwell amaxwell at mac.com
Sun Jan 8 18:39:38 CET 2006

On Jan 8, 2006, at 09:06, Herbert Schulz wrote:

> On Jan 8, 2006, at 10:43 AM, Adam R. Maxwell wrote:

>>> Now here's a bigger one! It would be neat if the first time you
>>> use the substitution it would search for a \bibliography command
>>> and open that .bib file in BibDesk. That would save me the time
>>> of setting that as the default for BibDesk or opening that .bib
>>> file in BibDesk before starting the editing.
>>
>> I thought about that at one point, for finding \labels in
>> \included files, but there's no way to get the present working
>> directory from a text view, so it would break unless you used an
>> absolute path.
>
> Howdy,
>
> Sigh... And if you could get that you could them find the .bib file
> by using kpsewhich. For TeXShop specifically... is there an
> Applescript Command that will return the full path of the file of
> the front most window (i.e., the one you're editing)?

You could assume the application uses the standard document
architecture and try the following:

tell application "Xcode"
	set theDoc to document 1
	tell theDoc
		get file name
	end tell
end tell

The problem then is to find the application name, but that should be
doable since I have the bundle identifier.  Plus the additional
problem of interpreting  AppleScript results <shudder>.

It's pretty unlikely that I'll find time to look into this in the
immediate future, since BibDesk's AppleScript is broken on 10.3.9
(again), and we have some other bugs to look at.  Feel free to file
an enhancement request at <http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?
group_id=61487&atid=497426> so this doesn't get forgotten.

regards,
Adam