[OS X TeX] strangeness with PDFKit or TeX?

Gary L. Gray gray at engr.psu.edu
Thu Jan 5 17:43:26 CET 2006

I have started labeling figures by creating the labels in LaTeX
(using pdflatex), converting the fonts in the resulting PDF to
outlines using the AppleScript I recently posted (which is based on a
gs command), placing the labels in the Adobe Illustrator (AI) figure,
saving the figure as a PDF, and then cropping the figure using yet
another AppleScript I have created (based on the pdfcrop perl
script). With this in mind, I noticed something odd yesterday: if I
look at a page in either TeXShop or Preview that contains a figure
that has been created in this manner, then all of the text on that
page is not anti-aliased well, that is, it looks a little jagged. On
pages containing figures that have been labeled using WARMreader (via
WARMFigToPDF) the text all looks great. You can see this in the
following PDF (at all magnifications):

http://www.esm.psu.edu/Faculty/Gray/misc/Anti-Alias-PDFKit-issue.pdf

The first page is the one with the somewhat jagged fonts (that
contains the figure labeled in the manner described above) and the
second page is the one with the nice looking fonts.

By the way, both pages look about the same when opened in Acrobat
(which means, of course, that they look bad since Acrobat pretty much
sucks -- but I digress).

Why would this be happening? The "fonts" that are included as labels
on the first page are simply outlines in AI (and therefore are only
AI paths/objects), so why would their inclusion in a figure change
the look of the entire page? Is this a bug in PDFKit or is something
going on in the way TeX builds the page?

Thank you.

-- Gary