[OS X TeX] Importing graphics in LaTeX

Jose Figueroa-O'Farrill j.m.figueroa at ed.ac.uk
Wed Jan 4 05:33:52 CET 2006

Jose> I want to include an EPS file generated by Grapher.app in a LateX
Jose> document. It compiles fine, but then I get a bizarre error when using
Jose> dvipdfm on the file

Jose> endstream not found

[...]

Jose> The document includes other EPS files without problem.

Jose> I tried converting this file to PDF -- either exporting from Grapher
Jose> as PDF or using epstopdf -- and I get another kind of error (this one
Jose> happens with any EPS file AFAIK):

Jose> ! LaTeX Error: File `Figs/prob.bb' not found.

[...]

Jose> I realise that the problem is that it's not finding the bounding box
Jose> information in the PDF file.  I have never seen a .bb file before, so
Jose> I'm not sure how to create it.

Andi> Maybe this helps.

Andi> Try opening the EPS file with TeXShop. It should
Andi> automatically create the PDF that you need.  -Andi

Hi Andi,

Thanks for your email.  Alas, I don't use TeXShop, nor do I have it
installed in my system.  I use AUCTeX in any one of the Emacsen for
Mac OS X.

I did discover 'ebb' which generates the .bb file from the .pdf file
and I have now been able to include the files.  Nevertheless dvipdfm
still gives a warning when it includes the PDF files:

    Version of PDF file (1.3) is newer than version limit specification.

This can be explained by the fact that the dvipdfm configuration file

    /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/dvipdfm/config/config

has set a line

V 2

I have changed this to

V 3