[OS X TeX] Unwanted blank page

Alain Schremmer Schremmer.Alain at gmail.com
Mon Jan 2 17:57:54 CET 2006

I have finally solved all my problems (for the time being) except one.
It is because the solution is a composite of many of the responses that
I got here that I am not responding to anyone in particular. Anyway, for
whoever later on may encounter the same situation, I will desctibe the
whole thing.

The text is in 24 chapters consisting of

    \section{lecture}
    \section{Exercises}

I wanted the flexibility for the instructor either to have the students
get the whole set of lectures at the start and hand out the sets of
exercises as s/he went along or have the students get the whole thing,
lectures and sets of exercises.

The solution is so simple of course that I couln't have thought of it alone:

    (1) One Main file with

        \usepackage{url}
        \renewcommand{\include}[1][]{\url}
        …
        \theoremstyle{exercise}
        \newtheorem{exercise}{Exercise}[chapter]
        …

    in the preamble. It consists of all the lectures with, after each
    lecture, say,

        \section{Exercises}%#17
        \include{ExerciseSet-17.tex}

    after lecture #17.

    (2) Twenty four HomeWork files. For instance HomeWork-17.tex is just:

    Preamble
    …
    \Begin{document}
    MATH 016 HomeWork For Lesson #17
    \addtocounter{chapter}{17}
    \include{ExerciseSet-17.tex}
    \End{document}

    (3) Twenty four files containing the exercises themselves, For
    instance, ExerciseSet-17.tex is:

    \Begin{exercise}
    …
    \End{exercise}
    \Begin{exercise}
    …
    \End{exercise}

Everything works well. For the book not to include the exercises, just
comment out

    \renewcommand{\include}[1][]{\url}

in the preamble of the main file.
The only remaining problem is that I keep getting one blank page if
front of each included "set of exercises". I tried to put

    \nopagebreak

at the top of each ExerciseSet file but nothing happens. It is obviously
not the correct command but as I said Companion2ed seems more into
adding space.

In any case, thanks to everyone.
Regards to all and Best Wishes for the New Year, whenever it starts for you.
--Schremmer