[OS X TeX] owners & groups of texmf.*

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Sun Jan 1 23:30:53 CET 2006

On 1 Jan 2006, at 23:13, Friedrich Vosberg wrote:

> Am 01.01.2006 um 23.07 schrieb Maarten Sneep:
>
>> Which group are both users in? Detailed information is in the
>> NetInfo Manager in the utilities folder. Check the groups: admin
>> and wheels.
>
> wheel only contains root, admin contains all users and root. Should
> I change the group of \texmf.tetex to admin?

I'd say you should never change permissions and ownerships unless you
really understand what you're doing, I like to err on the safe side.

Besides, both users are allowed to copy the file to the desktop,
right? As far as I can see, the ownership situation is symmetrical.

Can you see which temporary directory is used for either user? Does
texshop / simpdftex use the designated temporary directory (/tmp/
$UID) or does it work in /tmp? I assume that the issue didn't start
until the second user tried to open the file. Can the user that can
open the file remove the temporary files, and give the other user a
try at opening the file? If that works, can the first user still open
the file?

I tried the same file, and TeXShop or simpdftex creates a directory
in the /tmp/ dir with the name TeXShop_Output, only writable to the
user that started TeXShop:
     drwxr-xr-x    2 maarten   wheel      68 Jan  1 23:23 TeXShop_Output

The second user cannot create this directory, and opening a dvi file
from a read only location fails. TeXShop should either clean up after
itself, or use the users level sub-dir in /tmp (i.e. /tmp/$UID).

I think it isn't an issue with permissions on your system, but a bug
or small issue in TeXShop.

Maarten

PS. Happy new year, to all of you, and especially Richard, who just
received the first(?) bug report of the new year. Cheers ;-)