[OS X TeX] Kudos to everyone

Simon Spiegel simon at simifilm.ch
Mon Feb 27 17:02:18 CET 2006

On 27.02.2006, at 16:17, Gerben Wierda wrote:

>> Hi everbody,
>>
>> I just wanted to let you know that I just brought my PhD thesis to
>> printer. It's a thesis in film studies on the subject of the science
>> fiction
>
> Congratulations! Now you only have to defend the thesis, right?

Thanks, yes, defense will be in the second of April, but that's a
mere formality.

> I am always interested in seeing the results of what people have
> done with
> TeX if they have used my redistribution. I did get a few PhD theses
> over
> the past years. In this case I am trifold interested because I am a
> big
> film fan and do like SF as well (and I can read German).

It's a 100MB PDF, but if you're interested I can put it online for
you. And just as a warning: It's about 340 pages of written text and
although I always try to write in a clear, unfancy style, it's
definitely geared towards an audience with some knowledge in film and/
or literature studies. Of course, I'm happy if you still want to read
it, but just don't say I didnt warn you. ;)

> So, I would be very interested in receiving a copy. And that goes for
> other products made with the help of the TeX & Friends i-Packages
> as well.

I'll send you a private email with the details.

> PS and *very* OT. Good SF movies: "The  day the earth stood still",
> "Soylent Green", "Silent Running (or something to that effect)",
> "Solaris"
> (both the Tarkovsky and the Clooney versions, parts of the Tarkovsky
> version were shot in Japan and displayed in mirror image because
> there was
> not enough traffic in the Soviet Union :-), "Stalker", "Blade Runner
> (after Philip K. Dick's novel "Do androids dream of electric sheep?"),
> "2001" (wonderful physics, terrible AI stuff from Marvin Minsky) and
> several more.

"2001" is the movie cinema was invented for IMO. It's the one fix
star in my personal movie universe.

simon

--
Simon Spiegel
Mutschellenstr. 97

Telephon: ++41 43 535 81 71
Mobophon: ++41 76 459 60 39

http://www.simifilm.ch

"I have never been certain that the moral of the Icarus myth is, as
is generally accepted, 'don't fly too high', or whether it might also
be thought of as: 'forget about the wax and feathers, and do a better
job on the wings." Stanley Kubrick