[OS X TeX] away from my mail

Victor Ivrii vivrii at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 14:30:57 CET 2006

On 2/24/06, Bruno Voisin <bvoisin at mac.com> wrote:
> Le 24 févr. 06 à 11:08, Victor Ivrii a écrit :
>
> > Autoreponders and List-Servers should run according to the strict
> > rules.
>
> You probably weren't there at the time, but an interesting episode
> occurred on 25-26 August 2004,

What I described as a REAL ROYAL PAIN happened earlier, in the different
list  with the same  mechanism (but this was only AR)

> when some user set up a spam filter
> identifying every message from the list as spam, reporting it,

Bad filters + the complete lack of understanding that most of the spam has
spoofed From: so the chance of such complain bouncing back is overwhelming
+ the risk to attack a completely innocent party. Few years ago some system
managers set their mail systems to detect infected mail - and to send back
(usually to non-existent or the real but spoofed address). This is why I think
that LS should filter out messages with certain subjects ".*spam.*" and
".*away from my mail.*" for sure (well, then my message would be
filtered out too :-)

> the
> another spam report as a response and so forth, entering the infamous
> Infinite Loop. Thousands of messages were generated in six hours
> before action could finally be taken.
>
> This occupies most of pages 110 to 131 of the Gmane threaded archive
> of the list <http://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.tex.macosx>, starting
> at <http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.tex.macosx/2158> and
> finishing at <http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.tex.macosx/4245>.
>
> For the "historians" here,

Thanks. Probably is priceless for non-normative lexics scholars.