[OS X TeX] away from my mail

Victor Ivrii vivrii at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 11:08:32 CET 2006

On 2/23/06, Alan Litchfield <alan at alphabyte.co.nz> wrote:
> Just don't let it happen again :>
>
> Justin C. Walker said:
> > Oops.  Please forgive my sloppiness.
> >
> > On Feb 23, 2006, at 17:15 , Justin C. Walker wrote:
> >
> >> If you think this is cute, think again.  It's a royal pain.  Please
> >> don't do this again.  In the meantime, I am asking the admin to   remove
> >> your name from this list.

> --

Autoreponders and List-Servers should run according to the strict rules.
ARs should identify anf not answer to other ARs, LSs, MAILER-DAEMONS etc,
should have cooling period (not responding to email from the same address -
usually 7 days), finally should identify themselves as ARs. AR in this case
failed to notice "Precedence: list" in the headers of the message it replies
and not to answer it.

LS distribute messages from the authorized list (normally from all the
subscribers),
should identify itself as LS (done in this case), try to identify ARs
(failed, one can
argue that the subject "away from my mail" is a clear identifier).
Finally it should
try to filter out infected messages, spam or messages with spoofed
From: (this is
nearly impossible task)

Sridhar clearly should look at the configuration of his AR (or ask
system manager to do this). Justin should not be that excited, I had
seen much worse: LSs which were set up by the administration with the
violation of all the rules (including non-mentioned unsubscribe
option) and thus getting responses even from properly configured ARs
and distributing them (and there were plenty of them), LSs which
became vehicles for spam and viruses and THE REAL ROYAL PAIN: AR which
was set with violation of all the rules including cooling period and
creating an infinite loop with the LS (as an added bonus LS
distributed all this to all the subscribers).