[OS X TeX] Font in TeXShop

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Thu Feb 23 15:53:43 CET 2006

On Feb 23, 2006, at 8:21 AM, Arthur Snoke wrote:

> Thanks for the quick response and advice.  Three follow-up questions:
>
> 1. I would appreciate your giving me a replacement for my
> \newcommand so I
> can see exactly where the changes you are talking about would go in.

Howdy,

For your macro:

\newcommand{\heading}[1]{\begin{center}\sffamily\large\bfseries #1\end
{center}}

would work. The centering environment puts in a bit of space above
and below the ``heading'' which is what I suspect you want. If you
want no extra space use

\newcommand{\heading}[1]{{\centering\sffamily\large\bfseries #1\par}}

(notice the ``extra'' set of braces to limit the range of the
declarations).

> 2. What do you mean when you say "\bf is long deprecated"?

There is no guarantee that \bf will continue to work in the future.

> 3. The level of my question regarding "Times" was just which
> command says
> use Times (to some extent, maybe) rather than cm?

It was the use of the mathptmx package that did that. Among other
things that set up the math fonts it contains the definition

\def\rmdefault{ptm}

which makes LaTeX use Times (ptm) as the default serif font.

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)