[OS X TeX] Expert Type Problems

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Wed Feb 22 00:36:22 CET 2006

On 21 Feb 2006, at 8:42 pm, pjewett at sterlingpub.com wrote:

> This seems to be an issue only in 10 with Quark 6. We use the
> expert types
> to create fractions that can be searched and replaced and that look
> much
> better than fraction builder fractions. We have a lot of books
> built with 9
> and 5 that are showing no problems with these fonts. There is also no
> problem on the PC.
>
> The expert fonts on the Mac create fractions using the option and
> shift
> keys with the digits on the main keyboard. (The number pad doesn't
> produce
> the same results. To create the numerator, you type the regular
> numbers
> holding down option-shift. The slash is the normal slash. To get the
> numerator you type the regular numbers holding down just the option
> key.
> What happens is that in the numerator when you hit 1 you get a
> slash (but a
> slash with a built in word space) and when you hit either the 5 or
> the 6
> you get an fi or fl ligature depending on the font (there went my font
> mapping theory). Everything else works fine.
>
> I doesn't matter where the font is installed and the problem
> doesn't repeat
> in Illustrator. It's worse there; all you get is a question mark
> except for
> the problem Quark keys, and there you get the same slash and
> ligature as
> Quark.

This sounds like an issue of various encodings (Unicode vs. MacRoman
and other legacy 8-bit encodings) and keyboard mapping, but without
access to the particular fonts and software you're trying to use it's
difficult to give precise answers with any confidence.

But in any case, I fail to see any connection with TeX on Mac OS X
(unless you're thinking of using TeX to replace your Quark workflow,
I suppose). You'd do better to try Quark and Illustrator-related
support forums or mailing lists.

JK