[OS X TeX] Track Changes - Functionality for collaborative work

Winfried Zettelmeyer Winfried at Zettelmeyer.com
Tue Feb 21 14:16:23 CET 2006

Dear all,
My recent change to TeX stems from several fatal crashes while
processing a major report in WORD, written by a team of three. I for
my part have changed the entire text '\include[ing]graph[s]' and
\longtable[s] successfully to LaTeX via TeXshop, it works
excellently. My two colleagues, however, continue to work with WORD
(and PCs). For the next weeks major additions/ changes/ corrections
are due, so the question is:
How to work in a team with "WYSIWYGs" which have (not yet) converted
from "the other world" ?

The thread "Functionality for collaborative work" from the Macostex-
archives (May 2005) unfortunately does not help as it focuses on a
team whose members use TeX individually.
For an immediate solution I see two possibilities:
1) To send the source file to the colleagues to add/change/correct
with a word processor (such as WORD) in different textstyles;
however, I already imagine the gasping sounds of dispair of them
seeing all those blue backslashes and the little attention given to
spaces and line length...
2) To send the pdf file and have them comment on it with Adobe
Acrobat Professional (if they have it), but the problem is that one
cannot insert text into a line visibly (just in a comment box or
below in a view comments section), so it is not as attractive as
WORD's Track Changes feature.
Is there a better method to solve this problem ?
Thanks in advance
Winfried