[OS X TeX] TextMate

Wolter Rose whrose at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 17:39:30 CET 2006

On 2/12/06, d.krebs at mac.com <d.krebs at mac.com> wrote:
> Do you do the typesetting in TextMate as well? I
> keep using TeXShop for this purpose.

Where I do the typesetting depends on the project I am working on at a
particular moment. Here are just a few of the scenarios.

A. I am teaching and use a presentation made with the LaTeX beamer
class. In this case I will set the TM_LATEX_VIEWER variable to
TeXniscope and open the .pdf document in BOTH TeXniscope and TeXShop.

The TeXShop document will be shown on the big screen in front of the
class and can be seen by all the students. The same file is shown in
TeXniscope on the monitor of my laptop. TeXniscope allows you to split
the window and have multiple pages visible at the same time. This
allows me to scroll back and forth in the document without disturbing
the students.

I have set TeXShop to Configure for External Editor (Document Tab in
TeXShop preferences) and Automatic Preview Update (Preview Tab). When
I give the typeset command in TextMate at the end of the typesetting
process the document will be updated in both TeXniscope and TeXShop.

B. I am on the road with my 12 inch PowerBook. I use Desktop Manager
to create virtual desktops. In one virtual desktop I have TextMate and
TeXniscope open (similar setup as in scenario A) with the window of
TeXniscope in the top half and the TextMate project in the bottom
half. On the next virtual desktop I have the same .pdf file open in
TeXShop, full screen (if you can call it full screen on a 12 inch
monitor). Most of the time I will be editing and typesetting on the
TextMate/TeXniscope desktop, but when I want to have a closer look I
will switch to the TeXShop desktop.

I guess this is only scratching the surface of what you can do with
just one aspect of TextMate, I still have to read the manual in more
detail. Another very interesting variable is the TM_LATEX_MASTER,
check it out ...

Wolter