[OS X TeX] Question about gwTeX for Intel

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Sun Feb 12 22:34:52 CET 2006

On Feb 12, 2006, at 19:10, Alun J. Carr wrote:

> I notice that the Intel binaries for gwTeX are installed under
>
> /usr/local/teTeX/bin/i386-apple-darwin-current
>
> Does this mean that they are compiled with optimization for the i386
> architecture?

No. This is just a heritage name for the intel architecture from the
NeXT days (which did run on i486 and up btw).

I convinced Apple to unify their usage (part of their tools used i686
and part used i386, mainly the stuff with NeXT heritage). Now, the i386
is the formal name. Probably because it would have been undoable to
change all the 386 references everywhere. Just interpret i386 as the
name of the architecture, just like all powerpc CPU's are called
powerpc.