[OS X TeX] formats for ConTeXt-XeTeX

Steffen Wolfrum osxtex_2 at st.estfiles.de
Sun Feb 12 20:50:07 CET 2006

Am 12.02.2006 um 18:54 schrieb Jonathan Kew:

> On 12 Feb 2006, at 5:33 pm, Steffen Wolfrum wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> again, after an i-installer update, my ConTeXt-XeTeX typesetting
>> failed. Probably I'd never understood how to make the required
>> formats (what command, what order) properly...
>>

> Did you reinstall XeTeX after updating the TeX package? I assume
> so, just checking....

Yes, this was the order:
.FreeType 2
.libwmf
.Ghostscript 8
.ImageMagick
.FontForge
.TeX
.ConTeXt-Updater
.XeTeX

>> Can someone please tell me what's the right way
>> for using ConTeXt-XeTeX and ConTeXt-pdfeTeX?
>
> ....and if it looks simple and robust and I can understand it, I
> guess I could try adding this to the XeTeX installation scripts.
> I've never had the time to really look into ConTeXt, but it'd be
> nice if it could "just work" for people.

After an i-installation running ConTeXt (by pdfeTeX) works right out
of the box (without any commandline action), same for plain XeTeX
(plainTeX by XeTeX?).
But running a ConTeXt document by XeTeX fails:

  TeXExec 5.4.3 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1997-2005

fixing engine variable : pdfetex
             executable : xetex
                 format : cont-en
              inputfile : text
                 output : pdftex
              interface : en
           current mode : none
                TeX run : 1

This is XeTeX, Version 3.141592-2.2-0.99b (Web2C 7.5.3)
(WARNING: translate-file "natural.tcx" ignored)
---! /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/web2c/cont-en.fmt was written
by pdfetex
(Fatal format file error; I'm stymied)

            return code : 256
               run time : 1 seconds