[OS X TeX] scripted lower case letters

mark oilcan markoilcan at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 9 16:40:51 CET 2006

--- KL Tah <kl_tah at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks Mark for the tip. However, I was actually wanting to use it just
> on one letter  in a mathematical equation, not the whole document. I've
> seen samples of the ZapfChancery and it doesn't look like what I need.
> I was looking for more a cursive script ``r'' (like in the Griffiths
> script r if you happen to have seen this).

I don't know what the Griffiths script r is. In general, if you want to use a
different font for only some letters in a math environment you probably want
to use \DeclareMathAlphabet, e.g. if you want Zapf Chancery available:

\DeclareMathAlphabet{\myMathFont}{T1}{zpc}{m}{it}

where zpc is the name of the Zapf Chancery font family, m is the series
(medium), and 'it' is the shape (italic). Of course, substitue whatever
family, etc, as you see fit. Then, you could do

\[ x = \myMathFont{A}. \]

Mark A