[OS X TeX] math mode or math mode?

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Thu Feb 9 00:01:41 CET 2006

On 09/02/2006, at 9:44 AM, Frank STENGEL wrote:

> Looking in the relsize.sty source, one finds at the end:
                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^
        that's what I wanted to know --- thanks.

> <quote>
> Current style       \mathsmaller gives         \mathlarger gives
> ---------------     ----------------------
> ------------------------
> \displaystyle       \textstyle (almost same)   \displaystyle in a
> \larger font
> \textstyle          \scriptstyle               \displaystyle
> (almost same)
> \scriptstyle        \scriptscriptstyle         \textstyle
> \scriptscriptstyle  \scriptscriptstyle (same)  \scriptstyle
> </quote>
>

> So what happens is that in the displayed equations (the latter two
> cases) one is in the first line of the table: \mathsmaller gives an
> almost same smaller (just cramped a bit)

Yes, indeed.
So to get the same result you need to include a \textstyle switch;
viz.

    \begin{equation*}
    {\textstyle\denom{D\mathsmaller{ECI}}}\;{\textstyle\denom{Dollars}}
    \end{equation*}

or

    \begin{displaymath}
    {\textstyle\denom{D\mathsmaller{ECI}}}\;{\textstyle\denom{Dollars}}
    \end{displaymath}

> --
> Frank STENGEL (fstengel<at>mac.com)

Hope this helps,