[OS X TeX] OT: help with font embeddings

Siep Kroonenberg siepo at cybercomm.nl
Wed Feb 8 11:17:43 CET 2006

On Tue, Feb 07, 2006 at 09:55:03PM -0500, Jan Anderssen wrote:

> the issue this time is that despite the editors promises lots of
> papers had missing fonts, and the final pdf got rejected by our printer.
>
> my questions are:
>
> (i) how can i find out which fonts are problematic for the printer? i
> assume any base35 fonts shouldn't be, but there are lots of different

I don't think you can assume that. Sometimes printers use a rigid
set of requirements. E.g. they have a preflight program to check
pdfs and a preflight configuration which says what things are to be
flagged as illegal. The trend is to require really ALL fonts to be
embedded.

> (ii) is there a way to embed fonts "after the fact"?

Sometimes it helps to convert a pdf to PostScript using pdftops from
the xpdf suite, and then re-distill the resulting PostScript.

> i guess there's maybe a third question:
> (iii) what's the worst case scenario if the file gets printed?

That depends on the printer.

1. They (or their software) may refuse to print the job
2. They scan printed output
3. You get some fonts printed as Courier

I mentioned the xpdf suite. After installing Tiger, I compiled it
from source on a fink-free system, but forgot to document the
process. Is currently anybody doing any work towards an xpdf
ipackage?

--
Siep Kroonenberg