[OS X TeX] OT: help with font embeddings

Jan Anderssen jan at linguist.umass.edu
Wed Feb 8 03:55:03 CET 2006

hi all -

sorry for the ot post. it's again one of those "putting together a
volume of conference papers" posts that people here have given me
great help with in the past. i hope the answers will be useful to
people who might occasionally do similar things (there must be some,
right?).

the issue this time is that despite the editors promises lots of
papers had missing fonts, and the final pdf got rejected by our printer.

my questions are:

(i) how can i find out which fonts are problematic for the printer? i
assume any base35 fonts shouldn't be, but there are lots of different
entries for various times versions, as well as many other fonts. is
there a way to disentangle them so as to find out where the problem
exactly lies?

(ii) is there a way to embed fonts "after the fact"?

about (i) i wrote to the printer, but the answer i got doesn't make
too much sense to me, but what do i know. they say:

> After consulting with my Pre-Press Department I have learned that
> we cannot adequtely provide a list of the fonts that created the
> problem.
>
> My Pre-Press Manager has stated though that the fonts are are
> proving problematic are those which seem to be Mac based and this
> is why we cannot embed them.

i guess there's maybe a third question:
(iii) what's the worst case scenario if the file gets printed?

any help or pointers to resources would be highly appreciated.

thanks much!
jan