[OS X TeX] Printing TeX produced pdfs: Apple Preview vs Adobe Reader

David Oliver daoliver at swva.net
Tue Feb 7 15:23:55 CET 2006

I would like to know if readers of this list experience problems
printing TeX produced pdfs (particularly from ArXiv.org )on Mac OS 10
systems. Many problems are likely printer-specific to the Postscript
Interpreter implemented by the printer manufacturer, so there may be
no universal experience or universal fixes. But Preview seems a near-
universal fix. Here's my experience with a Brother 5170 DN (Level 3
Postscript, but not an Adobe interpreter, that prints double-sided)
and TeX produced pdfs---most from arXiv.org:

In printing from Adobe Reader 7: Sometimes the document will not
print at all with a postscript interpreter  stack error. Sometimes
the document prints, but pages are upside down and out of order.
Printing same documnets from Preview: no such problems are encountered.

As an aside, I also experience many postscript errors printing from
Photoshop 7 with the same printer, but the same documents, saved as
tiffs or pdfs, will print from Preview with no problem. Did Apple
know something about handling postscript in OS 10 that impelled
Preview as a replacement for printing from Adobe products?

David Oliver