[OS X TeX] updated packages

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Mon Feb 6 14:05:22 CET 2006

Le 6 févr. 06 à 13:35, Victor Ivrii a écrit :

> My understanding is that texmf.gwtex does not normally contain
> packages
> which are in  texmf.tetex. From ChangeLog.texmf.gwtex "Removed ...
> from gwtex  as it is in teTeX".

texmf.gwtex does contain some packages of which older versions are in
texmf.tetex: texmf.tetex is taken directly from teTeX (standard
distribution of TeX for Linux),; when insufficiencies are detected
and not yet fixed in teTeX, or when Gerben gets specific user
requests, he puts add-ons or updates inside texmf.gwtex. I imagine
this makes the maintenance easier. (Imagine the burden Gerben already
inflicts upon himself by providing to us and maintaining his TeX
distribution!)

> So at least on all my computers there is no beamer in texmf.gwtex (and
> I never do anything manually with these directories) and there is
> beamer 3.01 texmf.tetex.
>
> I updated my texmf.local to 3.06 and pgf 1.01.

I do have beamer 3.06 in texmf.gwtex, and I did nothing for this (I'm
no beamer user). I wonder what may cause its absence on your setup.

> However, now I am a bit confused: while Gerben defines
> texmf.gwtex, who defines
>  texmf.tetex? May be I am barking on the wrong tree?

Possibly. The content of texmf.tetex is taken from teTeX, and (if I'm
not mistaken) /usr/local/teTeX/bin from TeXLive. Discussions of their
content should rather be directed to the respective mailing lists.