[OS X TeX] Fixed epstopdf, which handles %%BoundingBox: (atend) OK.

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Sun Feb 5 11:09:38 CET 2006

Le 4 févr. 06 à 12:45, Peter Dyballa a écrit :

> I don't think that this is the right behaviour. I think that PS-
> >PDF and EPS->PDF are two different cases. While in the PS->PDF
> case it makes some sense to have the choice between Ghostscript's
> ps2pdf and Apple's pstopdf, in the EPS->PDF case there is no
> choice, only epstopdf works correctly and saves the original
> bounding box (and maybe a script with ps2pdf and pdfcrop I can
> offer one of these days).

I don't think there's any problem with using Apple's Distiller
pstopdf with EPS files: in my experience it converts them to PDF
files with appropriate bounding boxes. For example, Preview.app
invokes it indifferently when opening PS and EPS files.

The only point, as Axel remarked, is that PDF files created by
pstopdf (Apple's Distiller) are often significantly bigger than PDF
files created by epstopdf (teTeX's Distiller) or ps2pdf
(GhostScript's Distiller), probably because epstopdf and ps2pdf use
(I think) compression of the output by default.

When these files are included -- as graphics -- inside a TeX
document, this is of no importance for the final PDF output, which
uses compression by default, but the processing may take
significantly longer, since the graphics files have to be
recompressed each time the TeX document is processed.