[OS X TeX] Questions about reinstalling fonts

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Sat Dec 30 23:13:57 CET 2006

Le 30 déc. 06 à 19:31, André Bellaïche a écrit :

> Le 30 déc. 06 à 14:54, Bruno Voisin a écrit :
>
>> You need to transfer all the Sabon-related files from the original
>> texmf.local tree manually to the corresponding places in the new
>> texmf.local tree, then run texhash as above. Don't transfer the
>> whole texmf.local tree: this is where TeX stores the formats that
>> it builds, and a number of other configuration files that it
>> generates; transferring these files from one Mac to another could
>> only create problems (such as non-matching binaries -- such as
>> tex, not inside texmf.local -- and format files -- such as
>> plain.fmt, inside texmf.local).
>
> Well, in the meantime, I have transferred the texmf.local tree, and
> it doesn't work. I will reinstall the old texmf.local directory,
> and do as you suggest. Instead of transferring by hand (I mean by
> hand and mouse) I can use theUnix cp commands suggested by Philip
> Lehmann.

When I said manually, I didn't mean by hand and mouse in the Finder:
it can as well be using mkdir, mv, cp and cd in Terminal. I meant
manually as opposed to using an automated command transferring all
font-related files in one go.

>> I don't think the font license would allow this. You can transfer
>> all the support files, but not the .pfb files which are the font
>> itself and are not free.
>
> But, if its lab or publisher buy the fonts, I may give him my
> pfb's, without making them again.

Yes, of course.

> What I would like is that not only "." be accessible, but also all
> the subtree of ".", you might say ". + ls-R". Because people get
> confused with fifty or so files are added in the middle of
> their .tex and .sty files.

dvips has now a built-in security mechanism preventing it by default
to read files at a higher level in the directory hierarchy, namely
in ../. I don't know whether this affects lower levels as well; I
suppose it doesn't. This corresponds to the -R option which is now on
by default, and which can be disactivated by using the -R0 option.

Bruno Voisin