[OS X TeX] lucida fonts problems

Axel E. Retif axel.retif at mac.com
Sat Dec 30 10:35:48 CET 2006

On 30 Dec, 2006, at 02:40 , Bruno Voisin wrote:

> Le 30 déc. 06 à 03:03, Axel E. Retif a écrit :
>

>> I have my Lucida fonts and lucida.map in ~/Library/texmf, and I
>> always use
>>
>> sudo updmap-sys --enable Map lucida.map
>>
>> As far as I know, ``updmap --enable Map lucida.map'' (without
>> ``sudo '') will create the dreaded web2c folder in ~/Library/texmf
>>

> I think (but am not sure) the last step at the end of the Install &
> Configure stage of the TeX i-Package (I don't remember the exact
> wording, but it is about making the setup backwards-compatible) is
> precisely here to make all the invocations of updmap behave as
> updmap-sys and hence prevent the creation of the dreaded ~/Library/
> texmf/web2c.

Right. I just tried. I have thought that meant you could use ``sudo
updmap'' instead of ``sudo updmap-sys'', but that if you use just
``updmap ...'' you would get the web2c folder in ~/Library/texmf.

Well... it happens that Gerben Wierda has double protected us: I
first disable my lucida.map and then tried to enable with

updmap --enable Map lucida.map

and here is what I got:

------
updmap: This is updmap, version 1167072206
updmap: no permissions for writing /usr/local/gwTeX/texmf.local/web2c/
updmap.log', so no transcript

There was a problem finding a proper place to store configuration data.
The message was:
   Directory `/usr/local/gwTeX/texmf.local/web2c' is not writable

To overcome such problems, set up the environment variable
TEXMFCONFIG to
point to a directory tree that is writable to you, e.g.
   TEXMFCONFIG=$HOME/texmf; export TEXMFCONFIG
or
   setenv TEXMFCONFIG $HOME/texmf
------

So I was right in that you have to sudo, but I was wrong in that, if
you don't, you would get the web2c folder in your Home tree.

Therefore, for maps in your Home tree, ``sudo updmap ...'' or ``sudo
updmap-sys ...'' work the same, but you have to sudo; for maps
in ...gwTeX/texmf.local, as you say below, ``sudo -H updmap-
sys ...'' (or ``sudo -H -u root updmap-sys ...'', right?).

Best,

Axel