[OS X TeX] Questions about reinstalling fonts

André Bellaïche abellaic at math.jussieu.fr
Thu Dec 28 14:33:11 CET 2006

Suppose that I have bought from Adobe the Sabon fonts, and that I
have installed them in teTeX, following the guidelines of the Font
Installing Guide, by Philip Lehman. The family name for these fonts
is psb.

1) The fonts and the auxiliary files have been put by fontinst in
various places of the texmf.local tree. What should I do if I want to
install TeXLive to replace teTeX ?

2) Suppose I want to install the psb family on another mac. What
should I do ? Run fontinst another time ? But the guide told me to
throw to the basket all the files used by fontinst which were no more
useful. Transfer the Sabon/psb subtree of texmf.local to the other
mac ? The (virtual) psb subtree is so entangled with other subtrees
of texmf.local (as utopia) that this is practically impossible. Or
does it existe some Unix commands that makes the job in one time ?

3) I may also want to give the fonts to a colleague using MikTeX on a
PC. What I would like is the following:

  - Put all the relevant files in a single directory. All
the .afm, .tfm, . vf, .fd and .pfb files have been already put in one
directory (I don't remember if I did it, or fontsint did it). I have
only to add the sabon.sty and the psb.map files.

- Transfer this directory into the directory which contains some
xxx.tex file. Add in the preamble of xxx.tex the command \usepackage
{sabon} and work.

I have tried this on my mac. The problem is that LaTeX does'nt search
inside the directories. I have tried texhash, but texhash scans only
a small number of predefined directories, not the whole disk, and the
texhash man page is rather puzzling.

I would welcome any help.

André Bellaïche