[OS X TeX] Bibtex reference order

Kai von Fintel fintel at gmail.com
Mon Dec 25 05:17:39 CET 2006

On 12/24/06, Leslie W Morland <L.Morland at uea.ac.uk> wrote:
> Following a manual, I have used
>
> @preamble{"\newcommand{noopsort}[1]{#1}"}
>
> with and without #1, then in bib entry
>
> year = {\noopsort{1969a}1969},
>
> and a variety of versions with different brace arrangements and
> " " pairs, to get this listed ahead of same author/year paper with
> 1969b.
>
> Some give numerous latex errors, some the one bibtex error, and some no
> errors, but they give the year as (1969a1969) in both citation and list.
>
> How do I eliminate the 1969a from both; only there to sort order as
> advised by manual.
>
> With thanks in advance. Happy Xmas from Dallas.
>
> Leslie

Looks like you got the syntax of the preamble command wrong. Try:

@preamble{"\newcommand{\noopsort}[1]{}"}

Note that the new command needs to have a backslash before it and that
while it takes one argument, it returns nothing, hence the empty {}
braces.

The entry in the bib file:

year = {\noopsort{1969a}1969},

looks right.