[OS X TeX] texdoc query

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Sun Dec 24 10:48:32 CET 2006

On Dec 24, 2006, at 10:14, Rowland McDonnell wrote:

> I'd like to change
> this so that any pdf files will be opened in Acrobat Reader.
>
> Does anyone have any if this is possible, and if so, how I might do it?

I suspect that the setting will follow your setting for double-clicking
a PDF file. If you set that to Acrobat for all files, I think Acrobat
will open.

There should be a file texdocrc somewhere which probably contains lines
like

# DVI settings
DVI_VIEWER=open
DVIPS_CONV=

# PostScript handling
PS_VIEWER=open

# PDF handling
PDF_VIEWER=open
PDFPS_CONV=

You could change the line for PDF-files to something resembling "open
-a Acrobat". That would take care of pdf files, but not of dvi files.
Acrobat cannot open dvi files and TeXShop can.

PS. It is unlikely (but of course possible) that TeXShop gives bad
printing results but that would hold then for all Cocoa apps. That
Acrobat gives possibly different results is because Acrobat has its own
rendering engine and in fact sends bitmaps to screen and printer.