xdvi Re: [OS X TeX] Re: TeX package (based on TeXLive) being updated (for the last 8 hours)

Roussanka Loukanova rloukano at stp.lingfil.uu.se
Sat Dec 23 16:18:46 CET 2006

Hi,

On Sat, 23 Dec 2006, Martin Costabel wrote:

> Roussanka Loukanova wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I did everything that every Martin suggested and nothing works. The only
>> way I've got xdvi responding is (I found this suggestion in one of the
>> archives):
>>
>> $ open-x11 xdvi lec2.dvi
>>
>> So xdvi opened the dvi file.
>
> Now that's interesting. I would have recommended open-x11, because this
> starts X11.app if it isn't yet running, except that you cannot transmit any
> arguments to the command. It will open xdvi, but it will not load lec2.dvi.
> If your open-x11 command does it, I would be interested to know what version
> this is.

Yes, it does. If you are asking about the version of X11:
X11 1.1.3 - XFree86 4.4.0

> The following command - which is essentially what open-x11 does - will work
> in all situations and environments
>
>  open -a X11.app `type -p xdvi` lec2.dvi

This works too. But I am not fascinated by the viewer. Under Linux, the
Emacs's default viewing with C-c C-c invokes
<View command: xdvi lec2.dvi>

and it looks much better. But I am not sure if it were xdvi or xdvik.

Roussanka