xdvi Re: [OS X TeX] Re: TeX package (based on TeXLive) being updated (for the last 8 hours)

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Sat Dec 23 11:32:08 CET 2006

On 23-dec-2006, at 11:27, Roussanka Loukanova wrote:

> I've tried xdvi in an xterm, but it doesn't work:
>
> $ xdvi lec2.dvi
> bash: xdvi: command not found
> $ echo $DISPLAY
> :0.0
>
> Thanks for responding so quikly.

That was the other issue indeed. The path for xterm is not set
correctly. Try in the Apple Terminal (where the path is set correctly):

DISPLAY=":0.0"

and then xdvi again.

If the first command gives an error, you're using csh or similar.
Then try

set DISPLAY=":0.0"

and xdvi again.

Search the archives for discussions on how to set the path for xterm.

Maarten

> On Sat, 23 Dec 2006, Maarten Sneep wrote:
>
>> On 23-dec-2006, at 10:59, Roussanka Loukanova wrote:
>>
>>> Is xdvi(k) part of Gerben Wierda's Tex distribution? I.e., do I
>>> need to install xdvi(k) separately? I'm asking because if I try
>>> xdvi it fails:
>>> $ xdvi lec2.dvi
>>> Error: Can't open display:
>>
>> Make sure X11 is already running, and the DISPLAY environment is
>> set correctly. It is always set correctly if you start xdvi from
>> the X11 xterm window, or ask for the correct value there (echo
>> $DISPLAY). Others will reply with the wizardry required to get it
>> correctly from the Apple Terminal.
>>
>> Maarten

Maarten
--
Ever drifting in the stream Lingering in the golden gleam Life, What
is it but a dream?