[OS X TeX] Script or folder action to invoke epstopdf automatically

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Sat Dec 23 07:34:56 CET 2006

Le 22 déc. 06 à 20:00, Holger Frauenrath a écrit :

> I would like to save chemical drawings prepared with the commercial
> program ChemDraw to (cropped) PDF files for inclusion into LaTeX.
> Printing to PDF from ChemDraw results in uncropped PDF files.
> However, ChemDraw can save files into EPS files (which can even be
> re-edited), and epstopdf produces the cropped PDF files without a
> problem.

Adobe Illustrator does exactly the same. Generally I just drag-and-
drop the EPS files onto TeXShop as soon as they are produced, to
convert them to PDF. At times I also use Preview, but with it you
have to process the EPS files one by one (Open, then Save As).

You can also just put your EPS files into a directory, and convert
them all in one go from the command line. After you have cd'ed to
that directory in Terminal, you just type either:

	apply epstopdf *.eps

or:

	apply pstopdf *.eps

The first alternative uses the epstopdf script, invoking GhostScript
behind the scene. The second uses Apple's distiller pstopdf.

Not quite what you asked, though.

Bruno Voisin