[OS X TeX] Uninstalling MacTeX

Michael Williams williams at astro.ox.ac.uk
Fri Dec 22 17:25:45 CET 2006

On Fri, Dec 22, 2006 at 04:16:17PM +0100, Peter Dyballa wrote:
> >Thanks, but I'd like to know how to completely uninstall it.
>
> rm -rf /Library/Receipts/MacTeX.pkg, edit /etc/profile and /etc/
> csh.login, run makewhatis.local ... just notice exactly what files
> get installed, which are changed in which way ...

Precisely what gets installed and what is changed in what way is my
question. Do I need to compare the output of ls -R / before and after
the install (or, equaivalently, use something like installwatch or
checkinstall)? Or is this documented somewhere? Or is there an automated
tool to uninstall "MacTeX", i.e. everything it installs.

I do think instructions for how to return a system on which MacTeX has
been installed to its pre-installation state should be provided, since
this is the installation method to which newbies are referred.

> Do you think of installing some applications, too?

I'm happy to uninstall TeXShop, i-Installer, etc. myself, assuming I
just need to drag them from /Applications to the Trash.

-- Mike