[OS X TeX] (OT) converting old ps to pdf

Victor Ivrii vivrii at gmail.com
Thu Dec 21 22:24:00 CET 2006

On 12/21/06, Bruno Voisin  wrote:

> Adobe Acrobat Professional?
>
> Better I don't know, but it provides a number of settings you may
> want to play with, when producing a PDF file: whether included JPEG
> files must be compressed, which resolution the output should be
> optimized for, and so forth.

Even if the default settings A8 Pro (actually Distiller) produced the
perfect text layer.
However it could not deal with
http://www.math.toronto.edu/ivrii/Research/preprints/bad.pdf

which was created by ps2pdf from bad.ps. In contrast to the examples
without text layer this ps contained completely messed up text layer.
Converting in to Postscript and then running Distiller did not heal
it. OCR also could not be performed by Acrobat since it contained
renderable text.

Purely academic question: why some of ancients ps (produced by dvips)
when converted to pdf have no text layer, while others have it
completely messed up (which probably is even worse)?