[OS X TeX] Latex to HTML

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Thu Dec 21 18:04:17 CET 2006

On Dec 21, 2006, at 10:43 AM, Arthur Snoke wrote:

>> In the future, the standard TeX binaries path to use in your
>> frontend will be /usr/texbin.
>
> When the are upgrades to the operating system, things in /usr get
> overwritten.  Is this not a problem here because Apple would not
> have a directory /usr/texbin?
>
> On the Sun when I upgrade the operating system, the /usr partititon
> is completely new, and I have to put in manually such things as /
> usr/local.

Howdy,

If you do an Archive & Install or a Clean Install of Leopard (OS X
10.5) when it comes out (I usually wait at least until the 10.x.1
update comes out :-)) you will have to re-install all the things in /
usr/ again; that includes things like Ghostscript, etc! But I look at
it as a good way to start with a clean slate. If you already had the
latest updates you could even simply copy over your old texmf.local
(or what ever it is on the new system) and rerun the configuration
stage and you fonts and other additions should still be there: in an
Archive & Install you'll be able to get to the original texmf.local,
with a Clean Install I hope you've made backups.

If you do a simple Upgrade when installing the new OS things usually
remain but make sure you also install X11 (if you had it before).
This easy way is also a way to end up continually fighting little
bugs that creep in between old and new configuration files, etc., so
I don't usually recommend doing a simple Upgrade.

Finally, Security Updates and OS X 10.x.n updates don't seem to
disturb items that are in /usr/ except things they directly update. I
have never lost (crossing fingers behind back) anything from those
updates.

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)