[OS X TeX] (OT) converting old ps to pdf

Victor Ivrii vivrii at gmail.com
Thu Dec 21 10:46:18 CET 2006

It is known that old ps files are problematic and that old dvips was
the culprit. Let us look f.e.

http://www.math.toronto.edu/quastel/pre.html

and download any old ps document. Immediately Preview fires up and
converts it to pdf which neither looks nice nor contains a text
layers. It looks like that using ps2pdf produces a better looking pdf
(there will be no text layer still, or if one used a different version
of dvips there will be a bad text layer

http://www.math.toronto.edu/ivrii/Research/preprints/bad.pdf

but this should to be expected.

However, it was a surprise for me that Preview does such poor conversion job.

PS I told to m y esteemed colleagues many times to either throw away
old ps files (no point to keep them as long as there is dvi and no
graphics which is usually the case), or to regenerate from dvi files
or better to  rejuvenate latex files (adding hyperref) and regenerate
pdf. They never listen.