[OS X TeX] preferred tool for presentations

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Tue Dec 19 23:20:04 CET 2006

Le 19 déc. 06 à 22:48, Herbert Schulz a écrit :

> Very nice! Did you use Mathematica for the graphs or were they
> generated some other way?

Yes, I used my usual workflow which is to generate graphs in
Mathematica, rework them in Illustrator, save to EPS format, convert
to PDF (using either TeXShop or Preview in the Finder, or epstopdf or
pstopdf from the CLI), include the PDF in Keynote.

Often "rework" means simply adding axis labels etc., but here it
meant more, especially for the beam drawings on slides 8 and 9: for
each drawing, one beam was created in Mathematica, and then in
Illustrator the complementary 3 other beams (forming a St Andrew's
Cross all together) were added using horizontal and vertical mirrors,
some elements (such as the wave intensity profile) were removed from
these added beams, and the thickness of each line was also set
manually, the sphere was made a shade of grey, etc.

Actually some drawings (especially on slides 2 and 3) don't involve
Mathematica at all: they were based on drawings created in MacDraw II
(!) about 15 years ago, then imported, reworked and modified in
MacDraw Pro, and Claris Draw, and Illustrator (versions 8 to CS 2).
Such is the power of the Mac that one can reuse such previous work
over such a long period of time!

Bruno