[OS X TeX] URLs in bibliographic entries

Simon Spiegel simon at simifilm.ch
Sat Dec 16 08:32:37 CET 2006

On 15.12.2006, at 18:43, Alan Munn wrote:

> At 12:11 PM -0500 12/15/06, Nathan Paxton wrote:
>> 	Hi all,
>>
>> 	Another question of basic difficulty.  I've done some googling,
>> but it's not quite clear what I need to do.
>>
>> 	I have a number of biblio entries in BibDesk that have URLs to
>> WWW versions of the papers I cite.  I'm using the natbib package,
>> with a chicago.bst reference style.  How can I get the reference
>> list to print out the URLs of the papers (which it won't do right
>> now)?  I've seen some stuff on the url.sty package, but I can't
>> figure out how to get that to work within my document.
>
> The chicago.bst style was probably not designed with URLs in mind.
> If it was, URLs should print automatically with it.  So you need to
> make a new bst file using custombib to replicate the chicago style
> with URLs included.  Towards the end of the custombib prompts there
> is an item "Include REVTeX data fields"  to allow you to output
> other information like URLs.
>
> To make the new .bst file type "latex makebst" into a terminal
> window (assuming your TeX installation was set up to use the
> command line as well.) and follow the prompts.  You'll probably
> need a good written description of the chicago style that you need
> at hand to answer all of the questions.

Forget makebst and bibtex strange language and try biblatex. It's a
package which allows all bibtex formatting with LaTeX commands. It's
extremely powerful and although it's only at version 0.5 already very
stable and useable.

simon

--
Simon Spiegel
Steinhaldenstr. 50

Telephon: ++41 44 451 5334
Mobophon: ++41 76 459 60 39

http://www.simifilm.ch

"In a world getting more and more democratic, film directing is the last
resort for dictators." Francis Ford Coppola