[OS X TeX] URLs in bibliographic entries

Claus Gerhardt gerhardt at math.uni-heidelberg.de
Fri Dec 15 22:53:01 CET 2006

I copied this line
> \href{http://arXiv.org/abs/hep-th/0304033}{arXiv:hep-th/0304033}

from my Bibdesk edit window and it works fine for me both in the note
field, which I used at first, as in the eprint field, which I use now.

The eprint field is supported in a version of amsplain, hamsplain,
modified by Greg Kupferberg to support this field. He has wrapped the
field in an mbox
% Function modified to wrap the eprint number in an mbox construction
- GJK

FUNCTION {format.eprint}
{ eprint empty$
     { "" }
     { "\mbox{" eprint * "}" * }

which is however unnecessary, since using the href command in the
note field, which is supported in amsplain by default without the
mbox construction, produces identical results.

The link has never been broken, since some magic will supply a "%"
sign when a line break occurs, cf. this copy from a .bbl file of mine

\bibitem{cg96}
\bysame, \emph{Closed {Weingarten} hypersurfaces in {Riemannian}
manifolds}, J.
   Diff. Geom. \textbf{43} (1996), 612\ndash 641,
   \mbox{\href{http://www.math.uni-heidelberg.de/studinfo/gerhardt/
Gerhardt-JDG%
-96.pdf}{pdf file}}.

When hyperref is loaded, the link "pdf file" will be point to the
correct download.

Claus