[OS X TeX] Re: xelatex format not found after updating TeXLive i-package

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Fri Dec 15 12:15:17 CET 2006

On 15 Dec 2006, at 10:37 am, Peter Dyballa wrote:

>> ! e-TeX  warning: file "language.def" has wrong header;
>>   expected: "%% e-TeX V2.2"; found: "^^I%% e-TeX V2";
>> Use fallback? =
>> ! Emergency stop.
>
> Language.def has a header line identifying the version. You could
> find the file and change the incomplete version information V2 to
> V2.2 – but the real bug is this:
>
>> fmtutil: running `xetex -ini   -jobname=xetex -progname=xetex -
>> etex xetex.ini' ...

No, that line would be fine. The bug is version mismatch somewhere in
the macro files: you must have an etex.src that is version 2.2, but
language.def is older.

In the TeX Live repository, I only see etex.src version 2.1, so I'm
wondering if Gerben has included a newer version, but failed to
update all the associated files. But that's only a guess. The formats
build correctly with a current checkout of the TL files, but that's
in a state of flux, and I don't know how it compares to the various
versions of GW's packages.

> I don't remember having seen this. The XeTeX source has a shell
> script that writes these lines into  fmtutil.cnf:
>
> 	# XeTeX formats
> 	xetex	xetex	-	*xetex.ini
> 	xelatex	xetex	language.dat	*xelatex.ini
>
> So it looks as if the recent teTeX or TeXLive i-Packages have the
> wrong entries in fmtutil.cnf which the XeTeX i-Package does not
> correct – anymore!

When using a current TeXLive package (based on the not-yet-finished
TL2006), you should NOT attempt to install any additional XeTeX
package, as xetex is already present in TL.

> In my old i-Packages directory I've found elder versions of
> fmtutil.cnf that have this etex augmented settings:
>
> 	xetex  xetex   -       -etex xetex.ini
> 	xeplain        xetex   language.dat   -etex xeplain.ini
> 	xelatex        xetex   language.dat   -etex xelatex.ini
>
> So you'd just need to change the faulty GW lines into the correct
> ones ...

Current binaries (etex, pdfetex, xetex) support the flag -etex as an
alternative to the "*", so that is not the problem. The xetex package
hasn't been updated lately, and currently the code in the TeX Live
repository is the very latest that's available. (Once TL2006 is
stable and released, I'll review the separate xetex packages as well.)