[OS X TeX] Unix, sudo and mpm

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Wed Dec 13 13:32:09 CET 2006

Am 13.12.2006 um 12:06 schrieb Alex Hamann:

> Setting the installation directory

Alex,

I think you could try, no: you have to try a very different approach.
Assuming that mpm is not installed (because you are none of the
sudoers) you would need to invoke the configure script à la

	./configure --prefix=${HOME} ...

to make sure that the software gets installed, and that it is
installed in your HOME directory, i.e. ~/bin and ~/lib and ~/man. If
these directories do not exist yet, the 'make install' step will
create them.

Then, when using mpm, I think you would always need to use it as

	mpm --install-root=${HOME}/Library/texmf ...

(so it might be useful to create a shell command alias or a script
file containing this clause). This should make mpm use always your
realm to store, change (a DB like list of MiKTeX packages), and
install data (the package contents). No texhash needed then. I
haven't tried it yet, I can sudo, I can only interpret what the man
page tells.

You can look at what mpm does by tracing its doing:

	mpm --trace=[comma separated list of streams] ...

The options are given in chapter 9 of the MiKTeX manual: http://
docs.miktex.org/manual/tracestreams.html. A reasonable selection
would be:

	config,files,fndb,packages,process,mpm

The files option "wastes" a lot of time, it might be more appropriate
when something fails. The access option is even worse.

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

"If you don't find it in the index, look very carefully through the
entire
  catalogue."          –  Sears, Roebuck, and Co., Consumer's Guide,
1897