[OS X TeX] Re: [OS X TeX]

Gary L. Gray gray at engr.psu.edu
Tue Dec 12 02:38:53 CET 2006

On Dec 11, 2006, at 8:26 PM, Alex Scorpan wrote:

> Bottom-posting sucks.
>
> It forces you to spend a lot more time scanning the (at least) 20
> or so messages you gets from the list daily, because you have to
> scroll to the bottom of each message to get a glimpse whether the
> message adds anything of interest to you or not.  Often you have to
> scroll through several pages of one message to read one line of new
> content.
>
> After all, you are reading the subject lines and following down the
> threads---you can survive having the reminder on the bottom.
>
> Alex
>

>> I have yet to see decisive arguments for bottom-posting. The
>> following should not be construed as an attempt to provide a
>> decisive argument in favor of top posting; but it is an argument
>> against bottom-posting.
>>
>> If one is following a thread, one might have in mind the preceding
>> messages in the conversation. In such a case the repetition of the
>> message in a thread --- could conceivably be inefficient for the
>> reader. One might think of a top-posted message as one that puts
>> the news first and provides a reminder of the conversation as a
>> sequence of nested footnotes, as it were. A conscientious top
>> poster might consider starting his/her post by summarizing the
>> argument so far, or at least use an introductory topic sentence,
>> and perhaps consider avoiding indexical references to previous
>> posts (e.g., "this argument" rather than "the argument that ... ").
>> Professor Michael Kubovy

In the "List Reminders & Etiquette" page (see the end of this
message) I am not advocating "bottom posting" or "top posting". Both
should be used when appropriate. More importantly, the text of a post
should often (usually?) be interspersed with the text that is being
quoted so that the reader knows to what the writer is responding.

All the best,
   Gary